You may not have realized this, but your social media accounts contain sensitive information such as your name and surname, phone number, photographs, and more. That’s why taking the appropriate measures to stay safe online is so important.
With the remarkable features that Messenger offers, you can have group chats, enjoy video calls, and access chatbots! The app also lets you share images, files, and videos. However, having so much important information in one place also poses security concerns.
What’s more, your Messenger account is linked to your Facebook account, so a breach of security could lead to cybercriminals gaining access to your personal information.
Fortunately, you can safeguard your sensitive information, reduce the likelihood of a password leak, and prevent an invasion of your privacy by changing your Messenger password regularly.
If you’ve never done this before, keep reading! We’ll provide a step-by-step guide to help you secure your Facebook Messenger app by changing your password.
Why Change Your Messenger Password?
We’ve all heard that changing your passwords is important, but why is this? After all, social media passwords are very different from banking information or online banking passwords, so is it really necessary to take time out of your day to change your password?
The truth is that Messenger is probably one of the social media platforms with the highest user engagement. It makes it easier to communicate with your friends and family, whether it be one-on-one or in a group chat.
However, that also means that it’s a place where cybercriminals can easily gain access to a wealth of personal information. Accessing your Messenger account without your permission isn’t just an invasion of your privacy. It could also lead to fraudulent or criminal activity.
Stalkers often use social media to track their victim’s movements and learn their contact numbers, the places they frequent, and where they live. It can also provide information for thieves who can track you down and steal from you.
Although changing your password may seem like a menial task, it can ensure that your information is only available to those you choose to share it with.
By changing your password regularly, you can ensure that even if someone gains access to an old password or logs in to your computer, they won’t have access to your account.
Fortunately, changing your Messenger password takes just a few minutes, and you can use tools like PasswordHero to create strong passwords to increase your online security and safeguard your information.
A Step-by-step Guide on How to Change Your Messenger Password
Because Messenger can be installed and used on Android and Apple devices and as a web-based application, we will provide a detailed guide on how to change your messenger password on each device or platform.
Changing Your Messenger Password Using the Web-based Application
If you prefer accessing your Messenger account from your browser, you’ll need to use the settings on the Facebook website to change your password. We’ll tell you how in the section below.
- Go to the Facebook website and log in to your account using your username and current password.
- Once you log in, you should see an icon in the top right corner with your image on it.
- Click on it, and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Find the “Settings & privacy” option and click on it.
- Next, click “Settings.” You will be redirected to your account settings.
- On the left, you’ll see a menu. Find and click on the “Security and login” option.
- Scroll down to the “Login” section and click “Change password.”
- You can then change your Messenger password and click “Save changes” when you’re done.
- Your Messenger password will be updated automatically.
How to Change Your Messenger Password Using Your iPhone
Do you have an Apple iPhone? Follow the steps below to change your Messenger password and up your online security.
- Launch the Messenger app on your smartphone. If you haven’t already installed the app, you will need to first install it from the App Store.
- Find and select the icon with your profile picture on it.
- You will then see a drop-down menu. Tap “Account settings.”
- In the “Security” section, select “Security and login.”
- You will then be redirected to Facebook’s web version.
- Sign in with your username and current password.
- Once you successfully log in, find the “Login” section and click “Change password.”
- Enter your new password and save the changes.
Using Your Android Device to Change Your Facebook Messenger Password
Unlike Apple devices, you’ll be able to change your password in-app without being redirected to the web version. If you’re changing your Messenger password on your Android device, we’ll provide all the information you need to do this below.
- The first step is to launch the Messenger app on your smartphone. If you don’t have the app on your phone and prefer to use this method, you will need first to download and install it. To do this, you can visit the Google Play Store.
- Find your profile picture and tap on it.
- You will then see a menu. Scroll down until you find the “Account” section. Select “Account settings.”
- In the “Security” category, you’ll see “Security and login.” Tap on it.
- Next, find the “Login” section and select “Change password.”
- Change your password and save the changes.
Setting Up Two-way Verification for Added Security
When you are confronted with significant security risks, changing your passwords may not be sufficient. You may add “two-factor authentication” to further reduce the risks associated with a password breach.
As the name implies, two-factor authentication is a method of obtaining double security by using additional resources. You can use this verification method in a number of ways.
- Find the “Settings” option in your Facebook profile under the “Settings and privacy” section.
- Next, select “Password and security.”
- Scroll down to “Two-factor authentication” and click “Use two-factor authentication.”
- You can then select and activate an additional security mechanism for added online protection.
If you select the “Text message (SMS)” option, you will receive a verification message every time someone logs into your Facebook or Messenger account. This will provide additional security.
The Difference Between Changing and Resetting Your Password
Password changes and resets are two separate procedures that produce the same outcome.
A user has the option of changing their current Messenger password in the event of a password change. Before letting the user update their password, Facebook confirms their identity.
This will also require entering your current password. Password changes are often done to increase your security and make your password stronger (by adding more digits or letters, for example).
Unlike password changes, a reset doesn’t require the previous password and is often used when you forget your password and need to access your Facebook and Messenger account.
Resetting Your Facebook Messenger Password
It’s not uncommon for people to forget their Messenger passwords. With so many platforms to keep track of, it can be easy to mix up which password applies to which application.
If you have forgotten your Messenger password and need to log out of the app, the good news is that Facebook has made it relatively easy to reset your password.
You’ll need your username (the email address or mobile number) you used to create the account. Here’s how:
- To recover your website, simply visit the Facebook Recovery website.
- In the search bar, enter your Facebook username.
- Click “Continue,” and a verification code will be sent to that email address or mobile number.
- Copy and paste the code into the relevant field and hit “Continue.”
- Your password will now be reset. Simply enter a new password that is no shorter than six characters.
What Should You Do If You Forgot Your Messenger Password?
Changing your password if you have forgotten it is easy. Click “Forgot password” on the sign-in page, and you will be given options on how to recover your account. In cases where you remember the mobile number or email address you used to sign up, you will probably receive a verification email that you can use to change your password.
If you’ve forgotten the mobile number or email address, you could use an alternative email address linked to your account. Simply follow the prompts, and you’ll be able to change your password.
Suppose you’re already logged in to your Messenger account and have forgotten your password. In that case, follow the steps above to change your password on the web version, iPhone, or Android app.
However, instead of entering your new password, you’ll click on the “Forgot password” option. Click on it and follow the prompts to change your Messenger password.
Facebook’s Password Requirements
Like other online platforms, Facebook takes the safety of its users very seriously, which is why it imposes certain restrictions and requirements when it comes to passwords. This ensures that your password is a lot harder to guess.
The password you choose must:
- Be a minimum of six characters long
- Contain a combination of letters and numbers
- Include a punctuation mark
In addition, we recommend ensuring that your current password is different from your past two passwords. This is because if someone gains access to an old password, they should not be able to use it to access your account.
You should also avoid using personal names or your date of birth in passwords, as this is easy to guess and increases the likelihood that someone figures out your credentials and gains access to your Messenger app.
Facebook Messenger is a convenient, interactive app that allows users to connect to friends and family, whether they are halfway across the world or living next door. It also offers a range of features, allowing you to send just about any type of digital file.
However, because this app is so closely linked to your Facebook account, a breach in your security could put your online safety at risk. One of the most effective ways to secure your Messenger account is by changing your password regularly.
While this will offer increased security, when you use a secure password generator, you can rest assured that no one will access your account.
PasswordHero is a premium password manager and generator, helping users around the world secure their online accounts with top-notch passwords. The best part is that you won’t have to keep track of them all because PasswordHero manages your passwords for you!